Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. Contacting me does not create an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney/client relationship has been established. Email addresses are provided for your convenience and do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Sending information to John H. Rubin Law via e-mail or other means does not establish an attorney/client relationship.

Litigation (Supreme Court & Family Court)

The Supreme Court has the authority to handle all matters relating to your matrimonial situation, including but not limited to divorce, separation, equitable distribution of marital property and allocation of debt, child support, spousal support (maintenance), domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, custody and visitation, and enforcement and modification proceedings.

On the other hand, the Family Court is a court of limited jurisdiction and authority. So if one wants a divorce or separation, or if one desires to have property divided, the Family Court will not be able to entertain these sorts of matters, but can handle other matters including but not limited to child support, spousal support, family offense proceedings, child abuse and neglect matters, custody and visitation, juvenile delinquency matters, termination of parental rights, and enforcement and modification proceedings.

If someone has a post divorce matter that requires enforcement or modification, the judgment of divorce issued by the Supreme Court will likely state that the Family Court has “concurrent jurisdiction” with respect to certain types of matters, which means that parties will have the option of addressing those matters either in the Supreme Court or in the Family Court.